Sunday 15 May 2011

Lemon cup cakes with poppy seeds

On Friday 13th we were waiting for Very Important Guests. My daughter suggested that we should bake for them cup cakes with cream on the top. Why cream ? Because this is the only part of cup cake she eats. Her tummy is to tiny to eat more ;) I decided to bake lemon and poppy seed cup cakes from this website. They were lovely, soft and very sweet thanks to the buttercream topping:)

























Ingredients for 12 cup cakes:
  • 225g flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 175g caster sugar*
  • lemon zest
  • 1 tsp lemon extract
  • 1 tbsp poppy seeds
  • 3 eggs (I had 2 yolks and 1 egg)
  • 100g natural yogurt (I had Greek style yogurt)
  • 175g melted butter
* It really was Friday 13th I forgot to add sugar to this cup cakes. This happened to me first time in my life. Although the amount of sugar in a cream is huge so they were sweet enough for us. My guest did not realized I made that mistake. 

Ingredients for lemon cream:
  • 225g butter
  • 400g icing sugar
  • juice form 1 lemon
  • yellow food colouring
  • colourful sugar sprinkles
Preheat the oven to 180C. Line 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases.

Mix the flour, sugar, lemon zest and poppy seeds together. 
In separate bowl beat the eggs, add yogurt and lemon extract. Pour this mixture into dry ingredients. Add melted and cooled butter. Combine well all ingredients. Spoon dough into paper cases. Bake for 20 min. Cool them down on wire rack.
In a meantime prepare cream. Beat butter until soft. Fold in half of icing sugar. Beat until fluffy. Add the lemon juice and the food colouring and remaining sugar. Beat again until fluffy. Then spoon the icing into a piping bag with a large star nozzle. Decorate cooled down cup cakes, sprinkle with colourful sprinkles. Enjoy !

As you can see I could not resist them

No comments:

Post a Comment